[CQ-Contest] KH2D, et al..

Chuck discreetly_confidential at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 08:11:42 EDT 2003

Zack Widup W9SZ wrote:

KH2D has lived in Florida for a couple years
 now.  He just signs "KH2D"....

To which AD1C sagely replied.."I'll add him to
the country file next time. Are there others?"

And K3FT added a thought or two for ponderment by
the gang.

Jim, a question for you and the other contesters,
on this reflector..

We have a fair amount of folks who live in areas
NOT in concert with the callsign prefix (KH2D,
some KH6's, etc.) and the K2G issue.

I'm just tossing this out for thoughts,
brainstorming, etc..

Is there a possible way/place/means of posting a
centralized LIST of these callsigns which would
need to be noted such as KH2D being in W4 land?
Or the K2G issue and others such as the OH1
operating in W8 but doesn't sign that way?

My INTENT is if we had such a list, then EVERYONE
- including the logging software applications
programmers - could read it and make whatever
changes to the CTY.DAT files(as an example) as is
needed to make the logging entry correct.

It would not have to be a complex list or site..
heck a simple 'form screen' where you enter your
call and name and then the callsign along with a
short comments section to define what it is you
are making reference to be included.

For example.
----------------------
SUBMITTER - Chuck K3FT
SUBMIT DATE - 18 Sep 03
CALLSIGN - KH2D
COMMENT - I worked him during the the 2002 ARRL
DX CW contest. He was operating in Florida (W4)
but did not sign /W4.
---------------------- OR

SUBMITTER - Chuck K3FT
SUBMIT DATE - 19 DEC 01
CALLSIGN - K3FT
COMMENT - I operated in DE for the 2001 ARRL 10M
contest. My home QTH is MD.
===========
(the 10M one is important since there would be a
difference in State which is important for the
10M contest.

It would also allow us to go back to our logs and
make sure we have the proper appended suffix such
as KH2D/W4 or W4/KH2D to assure that log checking
software would properly score it.

I know.. this is log combing and perhaps others
won't like it. but ifwe're going to be cognizant
of the log checking software shortcomings - which
are known to all - thed is it not reasonable to
want to be able to make the log accurate to deal
with the inherent software limitations?

For the K2G.. it would at least provide
logcheckers with a place to go to see what's up
so they could adapt their log checking software
accordingly.

It would take some time for such a centralized
list to be known and used.. but it would be a
good place to go to see what's up and to help
relieve/mitigate some of theproblems.

Maybe I'm all wet on this..

Just a thought.
73