[CQ-Contest] Self Spotting

K0LUZ k0luz at topsusa.com
Thu Apr 1 13:21:32 EST 2004

If you've got the hardware,  you're not calling cq 6 times a minute.  You're
trying to maximize every minute with the largest number of qso's.  That
includes getting the call right the first time, picking a full call out of
the pile calling you as quickly as possible,  copying all the information
properly the first time, and maybe even be good enough to have another call
in the back of your mind that you picked up when you copied the first call
that you can qso immediately.  Now that takes a smidgeon of skill doesn't
it??

73
Red K0LUZ

To: ku8e at bellsouth.net; cq-contest at contesting.com
Subject: RE: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self Spotting

What utter poppy cock that you just point and shoot
spots.  Talk to the multi-station operators, i.e.,
every Multi-Multi, every Multi-Single, and every
Multi-2, plus all of the Assisted stations, and
especially for the newest spot, you'll discover
that are all standing right beside you,
they all have bigger guns,
and there's only one duck for everyone to aim at.
  (Not quite true: the East Coast is standing
   1500 miles closer to the duck than I am).

Every packet QSO is like a DX-pedition pile up,
without the advantage of the DX being split, and
that requires skill, timing, and a good station,
and working the spot in one call, over the East
Coast, is still a thrill, and a far better
comparison of my station that just having stations
answer my CQs.

Throwing money at towers and amps and multiple
radios so you can broadcast CQ 6 times a minute;
where's the operator skill therein?
  (Unless you have the additional hardware to
   operate SO2R, which I acknowledge really
   does require operator skill to broadcast
   and to listen simultaneously.)

Barry, W5GN

P.S.  And for those who suggested I should try running,
      yes, I do have the hardware and experience to run;
      Even with the old TH-7 I've done 1000+ SS CW and
      1500+ SS SSB Qs, a lot of multi-ops at N5AU, WX5B,
      N5YA and AA5NT, and fly to KL7RA for CQ WW to do my
      broadcasting, with many 220+ hours thru the aurora
      in that trivial-exchange contest.
         And I know I'm not up to the WRTC Champion's skills:
         Jeff has done 350+ in a SPRINT from my station,
         while about 260 is the best I can do in that true
         test of operator skills.