[CQ-Contest] Self Spotting

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Thu Apr 1 13:59:14 EST 2004

From: <ku8e at bellsouth.net>

> Al,
>
>  I think the case that most have made for removing packet is that people
get away with cheating (i.e claiming SO when they are SOA) and the contest
sponsors
> don't do anything about it.
>
>  I guess I am just old fashioned and my reason for removing it is that it
makes
> contesting for some like shooting ducks in a pond. You just point and
shoot. It
> doesn't take much skill to do that...
>
>                               Jeff
Hi Jeff,

With all due respect, should we also get rid of amplifiers
and transmitters? It is probably easier to cheat without
getting caught by running more power than claimed
(e.g. 100W = QRP, 1500W = Low Power; 15KW =
High Power) than it is to use packet in an unassisted
category without getting caught. By your logic, we
would have to get rid of our equipment to ensure that
nobody cheated. Punishing people who play by the
rules in an effort to stop those who don't is the wrong
approach to the cheating problem.

In any case, I think cheaters get their own punishment
because deep down they know that they aren't talented
enough to win fair and square. The guys and gals
who win fair and square have the personal satisfaction
of knowing they are the real winners. Personally I would
rather lose (which I often do) knowing that I did my best
and played fair and square rather than parading around
a trophy that I wasn't really good enough to earn. I really
feel sorry for people who's egos are so fragile that they
need to resort to cheating to feel good about themselves.
That kind of self-deception is pretty sad and pathetic if
you think about it.

And besides some people like shooting ducks in a
pond (I have been doing a lot of that lately and enjoying
it). As long as you don't go around claiming that you shot
them on the open range, then what's the problem? If you
personally don't like shooting ducks in a pond (e.g. using
packet), well...uh......don't  :)