[CQ-Contest] Self Spotting

Alfred J. Frugoli (KE1FO) frugoli at worldlinkisp.com
Thu Apr 1 16:16:42 EST 2004

I would agree 100%.  Here's my argument though.  If somebody wants to get on for an hour and point and shoot, more power to them.  It's some easy q's for both the spotted stations and the s&per.  If someone is in SOA seriously there's lots of strategy - i.e. skill - in deciding when to follow spots, when to run etc.  You're not going to win soa by pointing and shooting.

As far as using packet as a so, that used to be real tough - you could monitor the packet chanel and see all the spots without ever having your callsign show up on the cluster.  Now with telnet clusters you don't see the spots unless you're logged in.  Those cluster sysops could provide login lists (probably pretty easily) to contest sponsors for use in log checking.  Wouldn't solve the problem entirely, but it might help.

I think getting the sponsors to think about actually enforcing the rules is the way to go.  Too bad we can't fully trust each other anymore, but that's where we are, so the sponsors should start takign action.

73 de Al, KE1FO