[CQ-Contest] Running vs SP (Was Self Spotting)

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at w9wi.com
Sat Apr 3 19:19:38 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 10:37, Kelly Taylor wrote:
> Whenever I see someone suggest the big boys always shut out the smaller
> guys, I'm always reminded of the ways I worked KL7Y (WA2GO op.: QRP winner
> in 2000 SS) or KG5U (perennial QRP masochist): I called them on their run
> frequencies. If QRP guys can run...
>
> I'm also reminded of my success in running, even at 100 watts, into my
> pipsqueak MA5B at 30 feet, in the couple years it's been up.

Indeed, I've had some success in running while QRP in SS.  (I've tried
it in ARRL DX but with very little success.  Not because of any problems
with the big guns, it just didn't seem to generate enough replies to be
worth persisting with.  I probably *should* just CQ on the second radio
anyway, while S&Ping on the main rig, just for the dozen or two QSOs it
could generate during the contest period...)

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66