[CQ-Contest] ANOTHER SMELLY SUBJECT

Dave Lawley g4buo at compuserve.com
Sun Apr 4 15:29:31 EDT 2004

CT1BOH wrote:

> If someone builds and runs a 10 over 10 over 10 over 10 over whatever
> antenna giving him a xDB advantage over the average top contester, nobody
> cares. ......
>.....  but If someone
> builds a 10 KW amp giving him a xDB advantage over the average top
> contester, everybody cares.

You're suggesting that so long as the same ERP is achieved that's fine,
regardless of whether it's done legally or illegally. I don't personally
agree
with that point of view but in any case, the guy who puts up a lot of
antennas
sometimes then goes and decides to run excess power as well. Resulting
in the sort of gross signals we've all heard here in Europe, and often deaf
to all but the loudest callers.

I've often thought it would be good if the CQWW committee had a 'flying
squad' of committee members who could turn up unannounced and have
a look at stations during a contest. I'd like to think that would help
catch the
packet cheats as well.

Dave G4BUO