[CQ-Contest] ANOTHER SMELLY SUBJECT..regs on antennas

Alexander Teimurazov at at at-communication.com
Mon Apr 5 11:05:39 EDT 2004

      Hi again
 I think there is several points
 1 In US regulation is say 1,5 kw but not in other countries like Russia and
Italy and if its international contest I dont think committee have to care
about US rules only Why not follow up russian rules for example and say no
more then 200w pep?
 2. What PA is giving legal power FCC say that ACOM is 2400 watt amplifier I
speak with ALPHA they are tell me that their amplifier is giving 2,5 kw
 I dont think someone when he change the band for multiplier monitor the
power all the time
 Another quetion how accurate is power meter on PA display
 I think we need then certified by committee and no one else PA which will
drope down if you running more then 1,5 kw automaticly but then another
question is appear what we have to do with Russian and Italian and others
who have limit much less then 1,5 kw and they are have to declare that they
are follow all rules of the country
 With my opinion there is much more question to discuss and I dont know
anyone from the top contester who is use extremely high power to make any
difference in score
 On the same time I know no one of as using 1,5 kwt because then instead of
the contesting we need to check power all the time with calibrated power
meter
 In some other countries there is another regulation no power limit atall
 I forget friend of mine like to visit 7P8 and there is 100w power limit
what he have to do if he dont like to be in LP category?
 Make check log effort?
 I dont think that we can do something with PA manufacturers
 I think everyone is know that Im not using high power and Im ready to
compete with anyone who will use 10 kw or more in anycontest
 If you like we can try and see
 Even Im ready to rent for him somewhere amplifier even from broadcast or
military for contest
 You will see result
 I think that discussion will not help lot
 Because all active contesters is know high power is not a key and thats not
help lot
 If someone like to blow his money its up to  him he can give good support
to PA manufacturers
 I know for example Jim N6TJ might rent big PA in ZD8 I like to ask
committee to allow him to do it in coming CQ WW SSB or CW and he can use 50
kwt for example and we will see how that will change his result
 Many top contesters during the contest even reduce the power to reduce
level of the pileup
 I hear lot of station using big PAs but dont hear callers and only problem
in that situation is qrm which that station is make and result I dont think
its go up
 Its great idea if contest committee members will be able to visit contest
stations but I dont think we have budget avaible for that and another things
I allready know about bad experience in former USSR
 On the same time its many things is nesessary to do for fair play and power
is not first issue
 I see in contest European activity is very high
 Why European get only one point for qso inside the continent? They are too
close?
 How about Asia then ? Distance between 4L to JA is 7700km and for contact
with JA I get only 1 point !!!! Do you think I will work JA in that
situation?
 Many people is talking that activity from JA is droping down in the contest
propably thats one of the reason of that?
 Continents
 UA6 is Asia !!!! Some UA9 are Europe !!! Part of UN is Europe!!!!
 Thats geography and nothing to check but nothing is change
 I think time is change now and reality is that if we looking for fair play
we have to give 2 points for contacts with own continent
 On the same time I agree with Bob K3EST after that changes that might be
different contest and many things will change
 I agree with people when they are say that in contests like CQ WW is very
difficult to compete with station when he is located thousands km away and
with that reason you need to travel and build best station in best location
or otherwise compete with station in your zone in your continent
 Sorry for my English again
      73      Al 4L5A/D4B