[CQ-Contest] "Ghosts" on your frequency

Robert Brandon rbrandon at austin.ibm.com
Mon Apr 5 12:15:46 EDT 2004

I call this having a "ghost" on your frequency, and yes, you should be
afraid of them.  :-)  This is especially an issue on 10M when there are
limited propagation paths.  Let's say W5 is open to W8.  You're in Dallas
and your "ghost" is in Houston.  You can both work W8, but can't hear each
other.

1.  If you and the other station happen to be in sync with your CQs, someone
could call him, and you think he's working you.  You log him and get a
not-in-log penalty.
2.  You may not be able to hear the other station, but you'll be able to
hear some or all of the people who call him.  That will be QRM for you.
3.  Some of the people who call you will QRM the other guy.
4.  Your CQs will overlap and the W8s who would otherwise be able to work
you just keep spinning the dial because all they hear is a garbled mess.

The bottom line is that your rate will suffer.  If I get any hint that
there's a ghost on my frequency (e.g., from the rate meter), I move.
Consider that while there may not be a ghost zero beat on your frequency,
you might be in the middle of a clump of "ghosts".  The guys with modest
radios won't be able to discriminate you wedged in a pack of powerful
signals.  They keep spinning the dial.  You want to be as much in the clear
as you can.  Watch the rate meter.

One last thing.  I think it's good to make your first few CQs on a new
frequency very short (TEST WA1GON).  Someone may be copying a weak station
who's repeating his information over and over and over and over (bad form,
but that's another discussion).  His weak guy is just coming up out of the
noise when you ask if the frequency is in use.  If he takes an extra second
to get the fill and doesn't immediately respond "Yes, the frequency is in
use", your short CQs give him a chance to let you know that he's there.

Robert K5PI