[CQ-Contest] ANOTHER SMELLY SUBJECT

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Mon Apr 5 23:53:02 EDT 2004

In a message dated 4/4/04 10:02:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ct1boh at sapo.pt
writes:
>>If we abstract the rules issue prohibiting more than 1.5kw out, why is it OK
to build big antennas but it is not OK to build big Amplifiers? What if the
logic behind the fact that the only restriction as far as equipment is
concerned only applies to Amplifiers?<<

As it was already replied, power limits are set by the countries licensing
authorities and are defined in the rules. 1 or 2 kW is a reasonable limit for
power hungry hams. That is like limiting the engine size in the car races. This
is in order to divide contesters into categories.

Antenna "thing" and equipment configurations are up the ingenuity and pocket
book of the contester. This is the moving force of innovation and room for
getting an edge. Contesting is made of operator, station equipment, antennas and
the experience and knowledge gained over the years.

If we were limited to Inv Vee and 100W by the rules, than I doubt that too
many would be hanging in there for too long (boring) and we have WRTC for that.
Ham Radio Contesting is a technical sport. It involves station building
(technical aspect) and operating (human aspect). I love it because it pushes me to
innovate how to setup station, antennas, location to maximize my score within
the RULES of the contest and limitations of my license.

Some contests have "handicapped" categories and there is plenty of room for
those who cannot go all out with setup. Scoring system in some contests allows
one to go south with 100W rig and spool of wire and crack the world record for
price of airline ticket or accumulated miles.

Another subject for cleanup is the signal quality of some contesters.
Overmodulated, overcompressed and wide audio or clicksing wide CW signals. It can be
very irritating when "garbage" signal like that parks next to you, wiping your
frequency, while your clean signal doesn't bother the polluter. Radios can go
bad during the contest, it is only appropriate to notify the offender when we
experience situation like that. Real contester will appreciate that and check
things out (happened to me with Orion) while arrogant S0B will keep
"blasting" away.

73 and GL
Yuri, K3BU.us