[CQ-Contest] Re: [TowerTalk] W4AN Silent Key

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Tue Apr 6 11:14:26 EDT 2004

On Apr 4, 2004, at 9:17 PM, Tom Rauch wrote:

> It is with the deepest regret imaginable that I must report the
> unexpected
> death of my dear friend and fellow amateur W4AN.

It is hard to express the shock and dismay I feel over this news. My
sympathy to his family.

I only met Bill on four occasions. Twice at his budding superstation in
Dalonegah in the fall of 1995, once at an SECC organizational meeting,
and one other time at a hamfest.

Bill invited me to operate his superstation in 1995, for the
Sweepstakes Phone contest. At the time, I thought I was a pretty good
operator, and with access to superior equipment, I would dominate. Bill
was very patient with me, giving me helpful suggestions as to how to
operate two radios, how best to set the tone for the contest.

That experience was eye-opening. Far from dominating, I learned I had
(and still have) a lot of learn about contesting.

Over the years since then, I've exchanged a number of e-mails with
Bill, and read with interest anything he posted to the many reflectors.
His contest efforts CONTINUE to inspire me. He has shown what is
possible from Georgia. Bill's standards were quite high, and many of
the principles he expressed stick with me.

Bill's devotion to amateur radio is evident from both his station, his
scores, and the on-line community he created through the many e-mail
reflectors, the contesting.com and eham.net sites, and his many other
endeavors. He will be sorely missed.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901