[CQ-Contest] SO3R???

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 8 12:56:34 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 06:33, Hanlon, Steve wrote:
> my experiences with SO2R operators have been very much the same - i have heard stations calling CQ on one
freq and then 10 up heard the same guy trying to bust a pileup.  stations are replying to the CQ and get
no answer because the guy is up 10 on the 2nd radio in the pileup.

I would suggest that's a rather poor SO2R operator...  (and I'm not vain
enough to say I've never ignored a CQ-radio caller because I was trying
to complete a S&P QSO on the other rig!)

IMHO (and there are others far better qualified to express this opinion)
a big part of the skill of SO2R is to mesh the timing of your CQs - and
those of the guy you're trying to work on the other rig - so as to
ensure you're ready to take the appropriate action when someone answers,
regardless of which radio they're answering on.  It's not an easy skill
to master.  I'm VERY far from mastering it! - I have witnessed a number
of other ops who *have*.  (W4PA comes to mind)

If he's CQing and calling 10 up on the *same band* it's very unlikely
he's SO2R.  (or at least, unlikely the SO2R is responsible for what he's
doing)  He's probably using the second VFO in his one radio - something
I did well before SO2R was popular.  The FT1000 and similar rigs with
dual receivers make this even more practical.  [0]  I'm not aware of
anyone except QRPers trying to run SO2R with both rigs on the same
band.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66

[0] kinda OT but...  I don't need T33 on 20 CW.  Had a good time for
about 20 minutes this morning listening to T33C on one receiver, and the
pileup on the other.  And writing down the calls of those who would call
regardless of who the T33 came back to.  Actually I was surprised how
few there were! - the blatant offenders are on
http://www.w9wi.com/tvdb/channels/dxshame.htm ...