[CQ-Contest] FQP - 2 days and counting

Georgek5kg at aol.com Georgek5kg at aol.com
Wed Apr 21 22:48:53 EDT 2004

Hello Again,

GOOD NEWS:  After Friday there will be no more FQP daily updates!

I do have some really important information today:  THE MOBILE WINDOW.  This
is a topic that has been discussed for the past few years, but this year the
FCG has decided to make an informal designation of frequencies for the mobiles.

First of all, let me assure you, this is not a hard and fast rule, but a
"gentlemen's agreement" to designate frequencies for use by the mobiles.  Can
Florida fixed stations use these frequencies?  Sure, but we would prefer if they
didn't.  As we all know, it is most difficult to know if you are on another
local's frequency and, if that local is a fixed station and you are a mobile, you
are likely going to lose that battle.

FQP suggested frequencies are as follows:

CW - FQP suggested frequencies are 035 kHz up from the bottom of each band.
The CW MOBILE WINDOW is up to 10 kHz below that.

CW MOBILE WINDOWS:
  7.025 mHz - 7.035 mHz
14.025 mHz - 14.035 mHz
21.025 mHz - 21.035 mHz
28.025 mHz - 28.035 mHz

On CW, FIXED STATIONS are asked to stay above 035 kHz.

SSB - suggested frequencies are are 7.260, 14.260, 21.335, and 28.485 mHz.
The SSB MOBILE WINDOW is up to 20 kHz below those frequencies.

SSB MOBILE WINDOWS:
  7.240 mHz - 7.260 mHz
14.240 mHz - 14.260 mHz
21.315 mHz - 21.335 mHz
28.465 mHz - 28.485 mHz

On SSB, FIXED STATIONS are asked to stay above the suggested frequencies.

OTHER NEWSWORTHY ITEMS:

In the FQP Daily Countdown, we have generally not called attention to
particular stations.  However, we did get word that WX4MC, Martin County ARES/RACES,
will operate from the The Martin County Emergency Operations Center for the
FQP.   In the interest of EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS, we wanted to call special
attention to the WX4MC boys in recognition for their efforts.

And from the ARRL Propagation Forecast, April 16, 2004:  "Solar flux is
expected to rise above 100, April 17-18, and reach a peak around 120 on or near
April 24."  Lets all pray to the propagation gods for some good numbers.

That's All Folks for 2 days and counting.

Keep those cards and letters coming.

OJ & 73, George, K4KG/m

George Wagner, K5KG
941-312-9450