[CQ-Contest] Contest amps under $1000

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 21 18:17:41 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 23:23, David A. Pruett wrote:
> >Alpha 374
>
> I don't know whether you'll find the bandpass tuning all that useful,
> unless you only operate where your antennas are matched very well.  See my
> comments later on 3CX400/800 tubes in general.

We find it very useful at W4CAT.  The antennas there are reasonably
well-matched but not exceptionally so.  (1.6:1 or better)  I suppose we
might lose a few dozen watts to mismatches but I think we more than make
it up in speedier band changes.  (and greater willingness to change
bands, knowing it won't be necessary to spend time tuning)

I'm not the one who has to maintain this amp though, so Dave's comments
about the tubes need to be considered.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66