[CQ-Contest] ARRL v. contesters

W7TMT w7tmt at dayshaw.net
Tue Dec 7 23:37:50 EST 2004

Steve,

You of course should consider yourself "blessed" given your
obvious vision. You "got it" right out of the box -
Congratulations! What about others? Have you considered that
some others might need just a little bit of extra help to
"see the light" that you were fortunate (or gifted enough)
to stumble upon? Or do you think that if someone does not
"get it" immediately and therefore "seek it" they are less
worthy?

Are there folks like you describe who will never get past
the three HT's and blinking lights? Of course. That's really
one of the magical things about this service/hobby there is
in fact room for everybody (or at least there should be).
CW, SSB, HF, RTTY, VHF/UHF, Contesters, Dxers, Iowa pig
farmers and yes, three HT's on the belt with blinking lights
on their hats - the service should be all inclusive. It just
seems to me that bashing folks who 'at the moment' don't fit
into OUR version of how things should be (just as you and I
once didn't fit) has risen to a fine art. I've had a dozen
off reflector notes this afternoon from folks who started
out as No Code Techs or whatever but who stated that someone
took them under their wing to help them move up the ranks
from the SOTB group and they owed their progress and success
in Contesting/Dxing to that kind of support.

Given all the whining about the loss of "the old days" I
just find it a little sad that there have been more posts
criticizing the "shack on the belt" folks who apparently now
comprise the majority of Hams and therefore whose numbers
influence various organizations actions than posts
describing what's being done to help those less visionary
than yourself to see "the light". Am I suggesting they
shouldn't have to work for entry into that "...higher level
of awareness..." no not at all. It's just that in the old
days (that so many seem to lament the loss of), most of us
had Elmer's who were spending their time helping us along
rather than endless bitching about the state of affairs
(well at least not publicly where every newcomer could see
the dirty laundry and question why they would ever want to
get involved with "those" people.)

I think the biggest problem we have in Amateur Radio today
is NOT the loss of lines scores being printed in QST nor
even BPL. It is (sadly) the apparent loss of the very
"spirit" that once defined and served the Amateur Radio
Service so well.

If we perish it will be by our own hand due more to our
exclusionary "class based" attitudes than anything else.
When that day comes it will be a sad day indeed but we will
have no one to blame but ourselves.

73
Patrick
W7TMT