[CQ-Contest] Awesome Morse Trainer

Alex, VE3NEA alshovk at dxatlas.com
Wed Dec 8 19:29:03 EST 2004

Hi Fabian and others,

> * When working at high speeds, I am used to press <insert> to send the
> station's rprt + number *while* entering the callsign,

This function is implemented in Morse Runner 1.4, please download the latest
version from http://www.dxatlas.com/morserunner

> * It's a bit annoying that directly after hitting <enter> to log the
> QSO you get the information if you logged it wrong, especially when a
> "LID" sends a report like "5nn 123 e e 122" and you pressed <enter>
> after the first number. This has little to do with real contesting,
> where one could easily correct it after the repetition, even though
> logging the QSO.
> The approach taken by PED is better in my opinion: you can change
> anything in the log as long as the session is running, *after* the
> session is complete you'll get your mistakes displayed.

The primary purpose of MR is to help contesters improve their skills. QSO
editing is a kind of skill that, IMHO, does not require any special
training. To the contrary, one must learn to use it as rarely as possible.
It takes much less time to correct one's input before hitting Enter, when
the data are still in the box and the cursor is at the right place, than to
recall the data when it is already saved. MR just helps creating good
habits - or at least what I consider good habits ;-)
What do you guys think about this? Am I missing something?

Instant error reporting is a valuable feedback that helps one correct his
style of operation on the fly and thus improve skills faster. I would not
like to sacrifice this feature for the ability to edit saved QSO.

> * The Competition-Mode is a nice feature, but ...   [skipped]

Please feel free to further discuss Morse Runner at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dxatlas_group/
BTW, new versions of Morse Runner are announced there as well.

73 Alex VE3NEA