[CQ-Contest] Be careful

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Fri Dec 31 12:15:26 EST 2004

Hello all,

Whenever the 'big antennas put me at a disadvantage on a city lot' argument
comes up, I always think back to ops who have achieved incredible things
from modest stations.

VE4GV: Low-power phone SS record. From a single-tower station that doesn't
even have effective 80-meter capability 'cuz his lot is too small.

K6LL: Perennial SS top tenner. From a single-tower station on a city lot.

VE4VV: one-time SS CW LP record-holder. At the time, from a single-tower
station on a city lot.

ZF2NT (N6NT): set an ARRL DX CW record on a beach in Panama with a single
vertical. A friggin' radiates-poorly-in-all-directions vertical!

Heck, I did top five in SS Phone LP one year from a city lot station with a
42-foot tower, TA33 and G5RV @35 feet, a year after missing top ten from
behind WB0O's Alpha feeding twin TH7DXXs and four squares on a 300-foot
hill.

There's more to winning, and losing, than hardware. None of these folk has
ever complained about being disadvantaged.

73, kelly
ve4xt