[CQ-Contest] Be careful

Reid Hill kc5ykx at swbell.net
Fri Dec 31 16:17:50 EST 2004

Just to stir the pot from a city lot dweller who ops
from a well heeled "super station". See comments
below.
I musat also ask when saying a single tower...do you
mean on tower one beam and wire or one tower multipul
beams and wires? Makes a difference.

--- Kelly Taylor <ve4xt at mts.net> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Whenever the 'big antennas put me at a disadvantage
> on a city lot' argument
> comes up, I always think back to ops who have
> achieved incredible things
> from modest stations.

Lets see why this is true.

> VE4GV: Low-power phone SS record. From a
> single-tower station that doesn't
> even have effective 80-meter capability 'cuz his lot
> is too small.

Hmmm lets see...STX with 32 logs submitted (2003 SS
phone) versus MB with  5 entries. (2002 32 v. 4)
Not taking anything away from Rob but, come on! I have
one TH3 and a 40/80 dipole and there is no way I could
match the rare VE4 mult (compared to STX)

> K6LL: Perennial SS top tenner. From a single-tower
> station on a city lot.

Not much here. Why does he do so well in the U class?

> VE4VV: one-time SS CW LP record-holder. At the time,
> from a single-tower
> station on a city lot.

Another rare verus the rest of us.

> ZF2NT (N6NT): set an ARRL DX CW record on a beach in
> Panama with a single
> vertical. A friggin'
> radiates-poorly-in-all-directions vertical!

Hell a vertical and salt water rocks! What is the
complaint here? Another one where how many entries
came from ZF that year? 1 maybe 2? Plus the op makes a
difference here.

> Heck, I did top five in SS Phone LP one year from a
> city lot station with a
> 42-foot tower, TA33 and G5RV @35 feet, a year after
> missing top ten from
> behind WB0O's Alpha feeding twin TH7DXXs and four
> squares on a 300-foot
> hill.

Again rare versus the rest of us.

> There's more to winning, and losing, than hardware.
> None of these folk has
> ever complained about being disadvantaged.

Disadvantaged? VE4 in a domestic or any contest is an
anvantage. If you can stand the the COLD! ZF2 is an
advantage in the ARRL DX contest. I like my city lot
and antennas just fine but I would rather be at N5TW's
any contest! Now mind you this was just to stir it up
a bit and I take nothing away from the ops at these
stations at all. Why would I, most of them have
whooped me soundly in contests.

> 73, kelly
> ve4xt

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. Happy New Year
everyone!

Reid
KC5YKX