[CQ-Contest] Secrets of contesting

David A. Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Sun Feb 1 14:39:44 EST 2004

If we all followed the sage advice of N6TJ, there would be a bunch of South
Americans who would never work anybody.

I wish I had a nickel for every PY or LU I've some across, usually on the
high bands, with nobody calling them, and their only ID is
"QRZ?"  Sometimes it's "QRZ CONTEST?", but again no call.

As Martin points out, there are times when *not* identifying is beneficial
to pileup control for the DX station.  THIS IS OK.

The number one rule for any contester who is trying to run stations is to
play to your audience.  If nobody is calling you, you'd better give your
callsign in any transmission intended to solicit contacts, otherwise there
is nobody on frequency who knows who you are.  If too many are callsign,
skip IDing, send faster, or whatever.  Do whatever is necessary to maximize
rate, because working people fast is the best pileup control tool.

Dave/K8CC