[CQ-Contest] More NCJ Sprints ???

Michael Dinkelman mwdink at eskimo.com
Mon Feb 9 22:01:34 EST 2004

For those who never did one, the INTERNET Sprints were
organized on a short term basis, announced via the internet
(NO, you didn't work via the internet), and all logs
were submitted via the internet. They followed the basic
format of the Sprints but there were some differences, the most
interesting being that you changed your name based on the
previous contact you made. So, if I (dink) worked Bob,
he would use dink as his name for the next Q and I would
use Bob. Sometimes you got your name back, but
frequently names got mashed quickly and part
of the fun was the ability of Tree (I believe) to have
software that tracked the movement of names in submitted logs.
Tracing the names and watching them change in the reports
he generated provided a lot in insight to the importance
of copying exchanges correctly and wipes out the
advantage of master call lists. If the name became
truly mangeled or offensive, you were allowed to start a
new name mid-stream as long as you recorded the change.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the work involved in
doing this that killed the I-Sprint though I don't have
that first hand. It was also VERY important that EVERYONE
submit a log or the tracing becomes impossible. Ward, N0AX
also organized some special I-Sprints a few years ago but
they also fell by the wayside <sigh>.

The question is, do the few e-mails passed along on this
thread really reflect a wide interest in reviving traditional
I-Sprints (or a variation) or just a few rabid contesters still
pumped from the last two weeks? :>)

brings back pleasant memories...
73
dink