[CQ-Contest] K4OJ SK

K9YO-Cedrick Johnson k9yo at cedrick.net
Thu Feb 12 17:47:06 EST 2004

Wow, this is a great loss to the contesting
community. I met Jim at various events, and he
always had the knack of making everyone around him
laugh. Jim will certainly be missed.

On behalf of the members of WWYC and SCDC, we send
our condolences. Jim worked many of us in
contests, his callsign appearing prominently in
our logs. Jim even had a hand in helping a few
WWYC'ers get involved in contesting.

I can't even begin to describe in words the loss,
thank you Jim for the fun times and laughs.

73,
Fred, K9YO
WWYC & WE4YL-SCDC

Behalf Of Ellen
CQ-Contest at contesting.com
> Subject: [CQ-Contest] K4OJ SK
>
> Dear friends:
>
> In September of 2002 K4OJ sat at this computer
and wrote a
> poignant obituary honoring his father, W1CW, who
had died
> that very morning.
>
> On this afternoon of February 12, 2004, it is my
reluctant
> turn to sit here and tell you that Jim did not
survive
> yesterday's surgery.  He left us about 11:30
a.m. this
> morning following liver failure after the
somewhat risky
> heart valve replacement.
>
> Just this past weekend he had a tremendous time
operating the
> FOC Marathon and producing a splendid accounting
of himself.
> This was just one more achievement during his
lifetime of fun
> in and service to Amateur Radio and, in
particular, the
> Florida Contest Group of which he was the first
president.
> His operating abilities were manifest and he
almost always
> the first one to volunteer his help, in spite of
his

>     The world's top contesters battle it out in
Finland!
> THE OFFICIAL FILM of WRTC 2002 now on
professional DVD and VHS!