[CQ-Contest] K4OJ Remembered

Gerry Treas, K8GT k8gt at twmi.rr.com
Tue Feb 17 13:35:31 EST 2004

Relax Steve.  You've gotten yourself into contesting, and that's great.
Welcome and thanks for the Q's.  You don't have to recruit 20 new
contesters in the next 6 months, just keep it in mind when the
opportunity presents itself.  I  was always a DXer and only got into
contesting to work DX.  Then contesting took over, and that's only the
last 14 years of my 45 year ham radio life.  The place I work my hardest
to recruit new contesters is the very active local radio club.  It's
slow, but the club helps by providing all the food for field day, paying
for FD and SS pins for those who qualify, as inducements.  We've gotten
a good number into one area or other of contesting, and we'll keep
going, too.  Hope your wife and son get into it, but they have to want
to for themselves.  Good Luck.  I've had two wives that hated ham radio
(my fault for bad timing), now have a new YL that loves the sound of CW
and thinks ham radio and contesting is way cool.  I finally just bought
a house on one acre and wish I was your age again, to enjoy it longer.

These are all great ways to honor one of contesting's best sparkplugs.
OJ was a lot of fun, and I did get to meet him and give him a ride in
Dayton from the Deli (closed now) to the Crowne Plaza.  A prince of a
guy, sometimes a clown prince, but that's the best kind.  RIP Jim.

73, Gerry K8GT    See ya in the test!