[CQ-Contest] ARRL Contest Participation Statistics

Bob Naumann - N5NJ n5nj at gte.net
Thu Feb 19 11:13:12 EST 2004

Interesting.

It would be more valuable if it was broken out by mode also- i.e. SS_CW vs. SS_SSB.  I'd also like to see some demographics on who these operators are that are boosting the #'s.

I suspect that both VHF and RTTY are now being frequented more by former HF types.  I am one of those, and enjoy the lack of QRM from SSTVers, Net operations and anti-contesters.  I'm just not into the hassle of fone contests any more.  I would suspect that I'm not alone.

The article cites the ease of getting on RTTY with computers, but misses the ease of getting on VHF will all of these new rigs that include 1 or more VHF bands along with HF capabilities.

RTTY is fun - and really great in multi-op as the operators can talk to each other while operating.  (We can't all operate CW and talk at the same time like W2RQ!)

73,
Bob N5NJ