[CQ-Contest] Re: Contest IMing

Alfred J. Frugoli (KE1FO) frugoli at worldlinkisp.com
Thu Feb 19 15:55:34 EST 2004

I can't imagine paying much attention to anything but the radio and the l=
ogging software when the rates go way up (over 200/hour) as a single op. =
 Now add in paying attention to the 2nd radio (SO2R) and there's not much=
 mind left for IMing.  This is the scenario for winning single op station=
s (both assisted and unassisted)

On the other hand, in the multi categories, spotting networks (and IMing?=
) are always allowed, and you often have extra ops sitting around, or eve=
n a band captain.  These folks take on the role of keeping an eye on cond=
itions, rates, and the competetion and develop strategy. =20

So, I don't see the IM thing as much of a problem.  If you're SO unassist=
ed and you're IMing, your not winning.  The self spotting is a whole diff=
erent story though - kudos to K1TTT for sending out the self spotting inf=
o after each contest.

73 de Al, KE1FO