[CQ-Contest] M/S band change rule in ARRL DX?

George Fremin III geoiii at kkn.net
Sun Feb 22 20:19:00 EST 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 01:38:03PM -0500, Ron Notarius WN3VAW wrote:

> I agree with you that the NCCC M/S rule makes more sense and is a little
> more practical, IMHO, than the current ARRL M/S rule.
>
> It's too late to do anything about it for this contest season, with only the
> ARRL DX Phone coming up -- you don't want to have different rules for each
> mode of the contest.  But, why not propose to the CAC this change for next
> season (2004-05)?

One of the great things about he ARRL contest is that this has
a M/S category that can be truly called a Multi-op Single transmitter
category.  The limit on band changes makes it possible to do
well in this category with one radio.  This is really cool.

In contrast the CQ WW has a M/S category that is really
a multi transmitter category.

A number of years ago the ARRL DX contest had two multi-op
categories - Multi-Single and Multi-Multi.  They station owners
that had built up their stations to do M/S in CQ WW were
complaining that the ARRL DX contest needed to be changed
so that the M/S category was just like the CQ WW one - where you
really have to run more than one radio.  The cool thing
that happened was that the ARRL added a M/2 category - so you
could run on both radios.  The M/2 has been a great success - in fact
so much so that the CQ WW just added this category to their contest.

But I am drifting a bit - my point is that it is really cool
to have contests that are different.

I also think it is great that there is still a contest or two
out there that have a true Multi-Single category.

If you are upset that you are doing M/S and getting beat by
the Single ops out there then you clearly are missing a
key point -- they are in a *different* category with a
slightly different set of rules.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii at kkn.net