[CQ-Contest] Feb 04 QST op-ed article

Ken Claerbout K4ZW at Staffnet.com
Sun Jan 18 19:40:29 EST 2004

   Let's face it, SSB operations during a contest can be a tough thing.
This applies to contest and non-contest operators alike.  I'll bet just
about every SSB contest operator has torn off the headphones and walked away
from the radio in frustration at one point or another.  It's no walk in the
park for us either.  That's why many of us prefer contesting on other modes.
This is especially true when the higher bands close down and half the world
is trying to squeeze onto 20 meters.  We share the spectrum so no one is
guaranteed a nice clear 2.5 kHz channel.
  Why is it then that contest operators can manage to operate in this
environment, working stations typically running 100 watts or less with
dipoles or small beams, but other segments of the amateur population can't
seem to cope?  I would bet my last dollar that should an emergency arise,
any contest station would gladly cease operations or stop operating the
contest to lend a hand.  Come to think of it, if I'm ever stranded at sea I
sure hope it's a contest weekend.  My chances of reaching someone for help
increase exponentially with stations like W3LPL, KC1XX et all occupying
bands.

73
Ken K4ZW