[CQ-Contest] contesting tips

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Sat Jan 31 20:50:15 EST 2004

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Hanlon, Steve wrote:

> >If working USB, tuning from the bottom increased the time to find the correct frequency and >it was better to work from the top down.
>
> i made an error that i didn't catch until re-reading the post.  USB should be tuned from the bottom and LSB from the top.  i fix computers all day and USB is etched in my brain.  sorry for the error.
>
> -steve hanlon
> KB3KAQ

In the same manner, I like to tune into a CW signal by hearing the pitch
drop as I tune into it.  My TS-850SAT has the "CW-R" feature that reverses
the sideband on CW.  So I usually start off doing S&P by tuning up the
band from the bottom in normal CW mode, working everyone I can, then
switching to CW-R mode and tuning down the band, etc.

73, Zack W9SZ