[CQ-Contest] Recruiting women into contesting

Alfred J. Frugoli (KE1FO) frugoli at worldlinkisp.com
Tue Jul 27 14:41:10 EDT 2004

AB2E Darrell wrote:

> *Actively recruit YLs for contests like state QSO parties, or some contests
> with slower rates. This will give the newer contesters a chance to build up
> speed and stamina to a full contest effort.

This has a flip side to it.  For me the "thrill" of contesting was in the quick pace and sheer volume of stations you could contact in a short period of time.  If someone had introduced to contesting during a 20 q/hour contest I wouldn't be an active ham today.  But I was introduced to 120 q/hour contesting and that's my main interest in the hobby today.

Probably the best way to blend the two thoughts (intensity and short bursts for a beginning contester) is at a multi station.  There, a new or perspective contester can get on the air, make some contacts, rest, watch other good ops run stations really fast and in the end be a part of a high scoring operation that does well in the overall standings.

73 de Al, KE1FO