[CQ-Contest] Follow Up: Field Day - Laptop Power Consumption

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jun 21 18:48:32 EDT 2004

         Thanks to the many who replied.  Most suggested
running the laptop directly with DC power or through a
DC to DC converter if voltages were not compatible.
Unfortunately BOTH old laptops I have (Toshiba and
Hitachi) use a direct AC power only with no DC port.
I suppose I could jury rig some connection using the
internal battery connection pins but I'm not inclined to
do that.  I'll definitely be looking for a used laptop that
will accept direct DC power (IBM Think Pads seem
to be one good option).

         Several mentioned success with DC to AC
inverters but cautioned about RFI.  Indeed I just tried two
different units today, both had terrible RFI on many bands.
I'm operating from an extremely quiet location so I am
not inclined to spoil my hearing ability for the convenience
of computer logging.

         Sooo...back to manual logging and dupe sheets.
Fortunately I have several of the latter left over from the
80's!  Since I'll probably be lucky to make 600 QSO's with
QRP, hopefully I can keep up with logging and dupe sheets.
Field Day is supposed to be fun and "not a contest", so I'll
just forget about the laptop and pretend I'm back in "the
good old days".

         Thanks to all who replied!

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  I'll be operating from Dark Springs Mountain in the
oldest mountain range in North America...not the Appalachian
Mountains...but the Uwharrie Mountains.