[CQ-Contest] Field Day and CW

Stephen M. Murphy murphys at comcast.net
Tue Jun 29 19:09:40 EDT 2004

Shelby Summerville wrote:

> While I agree that Field Day should be a "training" for "real" emergency
> situations, it's painfully evident that those that are accustomed to
> exchanging information (read that as a contest exchange) correctly, fare
far
> better than those that try in only on Field Day?

Absolutely.  Any endeavor requiring skill and technique requires practice.
Effectively operating an amateur station under pressure, whether in a real
emergency or a contest situation, is no different.

I don't consider FD an effective means of training, but I know many folks
for whom FD was their first exposure to contesting and then went on to
become avid and proficient contesters themselves.

73,
Steve N8NM