[CQ-Contest] saving us from ourselves

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 8 15:10:23 EST 2004

> Question 1:  What tips are out there for avoiding this?
>              I think we could use some.

Know your radio inside and out.  Look at the TRANSMIT light every time you go
key-down and see where you're transmitting.

My personal pet peeve is DX spots that don't spot a QSX frequency properly (or
at all).  Many guys just jump on the spot and never look at their transmit VFO.

CT recognizes only this format:

(I think "/" works as well as "QSX"). If you don't include QSX, or the
frequency is wrong (like "175" or "up 2") then the software won't pick it up.
This is one reason we run CT in 50-line VGA mode and keep the packet window up
at all times, so we can see if the spot was entered correctly.

I wish CT had some day to indicate in the Announce window that a valid QSX
frequency was entered (maybe a "+" next to the frequency).

- Jim

=====
USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com
PGP Fingerprint: D8E2 3D78 339F A7F1 8C13  1193 B5D1 4FB6 79D1 70DC