[CQ-Contest] Re: Response to K5ZD's comments

sawyered at earthlink.net sawyered at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 16 06:06:17 EST 2004

I must admit I find some of the comments on this interesting.  Before commenting on some of the responses, I will state that I like the 48 hour time.  Its a contest, lets not water it down.  However, if people want to try the contest within a contest idea, I see no harm in creating a CQ CONTEST contest within a contest  on 3830 or whatever and go for it.

1) The people that say "well I only get on for 10 hours but if there were a 24 hour category I'd get on for 24" are really kidding themselves.  Why aren't you on for close to 24 now?  Do really think that the excuses for why you aren't contesting are going to go away?  If you only get on for 8 or 10 hours for a major, regularly, then you aren't a competitive contester and making up a 24 hour category isn't going to make you one.

2) Myself, I am 42.  Why do a lot of the old timers want to bring contesting down to them?  To me, you are missing one of the greatest aspects of contesting, gentlemen.  The ability to have a running shot at beating me when you are 65 is what SHOULD MOTIVATE YOU.  What else can you look at competitively where you can wake up and say "I beat most people yonger than me".  I'll beat you in a 5K, I'll beat you climbing a tower, I'll beat you playing basketball.  But you just might still beat me in an all out contest.  If that doesn't help keep you thinking young......

3) The final point.  There are great reasons for 24 or 36 hour contests.  And you know what, THERE ARE 24 HOUR CONTESTS and 36 HOUR CONTESTS.  Join in on them and compete.  You don't have to change the 4 majors CQ/ARRL CW/SSB to do that.  There are at least 20 other good contests and most of them are not 48 straight!  Have fun and enjoy.

FWIW

Ed N1UR