[CQ-Contest] 50 A ps test load

Dick Frey k4xu at bendcable.com
Fri Mar 19 19:02:15 EST 2004

Rich,

The way it's done professionally is with an active load. That's just a big
transistor or two on a heatsink with an opamp to control the gate voltage or
base current to keep the load current constant. 30A at 13V is less than
500W.

I run my 2x Omni 6 SO2R station on one 30A Astron linear PS located on a
shelf under my operating table. A small 12V fan and a 80C Klix-on thermostat
keep it cool but there's lots of free air circulation under the table - the
back edge is 6" from the wall. The heatsink hangs over the rear edge of the
shelf.

Dick Frey    k4xu