[CQ-Contest] The good old U.S. holiday weekend contest debate

Alfred J. Frugoli (KE1FO) frugoli at worldlinkisp.com
Wed Mar 31 20:22:02 EST 2004

> > Why should the contests be changed
> > just because it's a holiday in the US?
> >
> > 73 Darrell AB2E
>
> Maybe because the sponsors are U.S. organizations.
>
> 73,
> Nat WZ3AR

Let's not loose the focus on this one guys.  This is a good topic, worthy of good discussion.

Here's some thoughts on why it can't be changed (none of which I believe by the way):

1 - just plain old inertia - it's hard to convince people to do CW in October when they've always done it in November
2 - since the propigation IS slightly different, would all the old records be thrown out?  Would new records have to be recorded with an asterisk?  Would there be 2 sets of records, one for CW in Oct, and one for CW in Nov and vice versa?
3 - again, since participation will be different, what about the records
4 - has a formal proposal actually been made to CQ to alternate the weekends - if we don't request it, there's no way they know there is support for it

And as an aside, why are we only talking about WW/WPX CW and SSB, what about the two RTTY modes of those contests?  Neither falls on a holiday weekend but they are major contests as well.  Maybe there should be a 3 year rotation, not just a flip/flop every other year.

73 de Al, KE1FO