[CQ-Contest] Dayton atendees - tell us about the new Yaesu

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Tue May 18 07:37:50 EDT 2004

On May 17, 2004, at 10:42 PM, Tom Osborne wrote:

> Man, who would want to pay $13K for a radio?  I looked at the pix and
> it looks like about 40 knobs and switches on the front panel.  What do
> you think probably gets used regularly, 10 or 12?  For $13K I could
> get a nice radio, amp, tower and some good aluminum.  I guess it would
> be good to have it just to say "I can afford it."

While I agree with the sentiment, mega-buck radios have been around for
a long while. Back in the 30s, most hams had to build their own rigs,
although some could spring for a commercial receiver.

In the 70s, there was the Signal/One transceiver that cost a mint. I
don't think they sold many of those.

For $13K, I could buy two Orions, and still have enough money left over
for a couple of K2/100s and a 100 foot tower. This new rig certainly
isn't a price/performance leader.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901