[CQ-Contest] LotW - Needs More Participation

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu May 20 21:14:26 EDT 2004

At 11:29 AM 5/20/2004, Alfred J. Frugoli (KE1FO) wrote:
>I disagree.  The *casual* guy is the key to LOTW's success.  Contesters
>and dx-pedetions are only 20% of the picture and certianly don't activate
>every entity that I want a qsl for.
>
>It sure is a nice way to deal with a large volume of qsls, such as
>contesters or dx-pedetions generate, but those qso records are no good
>unless all the casual guys you worked also upload their logs.

I think what Jamie was getting at is that if a lot of the casual DXers know
that DXpedition X will be QSLing via LotW, they will sign up in order to
get that QSL quickly and cheaply.  I think there's room in this project for
all sorts of promotion angles, and this should be one.  Realistically,
though, I'd expect a lot of expensive DXpeditions to make their QSLs
available first to those who contribute more than the cost of the QSL
toward the DXpedition's expenses, and then later make the whole log
available for confirmation via LotW.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on April 26, 2004