[CQ-Contest] LotW - Needs More Participation

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Thu May 20 08:20:31 EDT 2004

On May 20, 2004, at 12:18 AM, Igor Sokolov wrote:

> That initial hassle is a bit too much. Why should I send photocopy of
> my
> license and passport by snail mail when I could as well scan it and
> send it
> by email. What is the difference?

Well, I can think of a big difference. I won't pretend to represent the
thinking of the LotW administrators, so the following is pure
speculation on my part.

Sending information by regular mail will show postage and cancellation
from the country of origin. This, in part, could help confirm that the
station gaining a certificate is legitimate, and not just someone who
managed to finagle or forge an e-mail address.

Sure, the photocopy or the digital scan could equally be forged, but
its much more difficult to forge the cancellation of the post.

>  Besides, my license is already on  eqsl.cc
> I thought the whole idea is to avoide using post office in the
> beginning of
> the 21st century whenever possible.

Well, you use the post ONCE to gain your certificate, and there after
you need not use it to QSL as many stations as possible.

> So for the time being I will continue
> sending updates of my log to my QSL manager who does not require my
> sending
> him photocopy of passport and license by snail mail.

That is unfortunate.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901