[CQ-Contest] RF and wireless mice?

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Tue May 25 20:01:06 EDT 2004

\
> As our cat has chewed through my kids' computer's mouse cord for the
> third time, I'm contemplating getting a wireless mouse.  Looking at
> the specs of the Microsoft wireless mouse, it runs on 27 MHz.

A bit more expensive, but you can now buy Bluetooth mice. I have the
Microsoft optical Bluetooth mouse hooked up to my iBook, and it works
okay. It's a bit aggressive about dropping the Bluetooth session when
the mouse is idle, causing a slight delay when you next wake the mouse
up. (This problem might be specific to MacOS X. I don't run Windows so
I have no way to compare the behaviour between the two.) It also eats
batteries at a surprising rate. Buy a couple of pairs of NiMH cells,
and keep the second pair charged. When the batteries start to die the
mouse lags horribly.

On a positive note, the mouse has a lot of mass. I find that makes it
quite easy to control. Your mileage may vary.

I can also recommend Bluetooth keyboards. Getting those wires off your
work surface is a wonderful thing.

--lyndon