[CQ-Contest] Question for Experienced SO2R Ops

David Hachadorian K6LL at adelphia.net
Sun May 30 14:08:29 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pete Smith" <n4zr at contesting.com>
To: <cq-contest at contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2004 2:34 PM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Question for Experienced SO2R Ops

> Under what circumstances do you swap the roles of your two radios --
in
> other words, begin running with the S&P radio, and put the Run radio
> work S&Ping?  I'm not thinking about situations where you might run
one or
> two on the S&P radio in a quirky situation, but where you actually
want to
> change their respective roles for a period of time.  In my station,
the
> second radio antenna setup and power is so inferior to the first
radio that
> this rarely arises, but I don't know what the situation is in
stations that
> are more nearly "symmetrical."

If you have two conventional (tuneup required) amplifiers, and you
don't swap roles, then you have to tune both amplifiers if you want to
change S&P and run bands. If you are able to swap roles, then many
times no tuneup, or only one tuneup, is required. A flexible antenna
switch, such as Array Solutions' Six-Pak, solves the problem of
asymmetric antennas.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ