[CQ-Contest] Proposed new packet/assisted rule

Ron Notarius wn3vaw at verizon.net
Fri Nov 12 19:06:50 EST 2004

Huh?

I'm not sure how this "solution" relates to the problem under discussion.
And based on what little I know of the many versions of software out there,
I doubt if this is feasible, even it it were desireable... which it isn't.

And doesn't this "solution" imply that any station who chooses NOT to opt
out... even assuming that they're aware of the option, which they might not
be... then must be classified as Assisted, even if they choose during the
contest period to not access the cluster themselves in any form?

I'm sure John meant well, but let's not make a bigger problem than the one
we already have.  Bottom line is that "cheerleading" -- and by that I mean
arranging for a group of stations to constantly spot your station on a
frequent basis to stir up activity and spots -- should be discouraged.
Whether or not there is a simple, practical way to write that into the rules
of a given contest is "the devil in the details" that there may be no easy
way around... but IMHO, it shouldn't be neccesary, it should be part of
basic contest ethics.

(Yes, I know that this then opens the can of worms of what is ethical, and
we all know of operators whose idea of ethical deviates from our own... like
the KW MM who calls you on your frequency and then tries to grab it from you
by overpowering you, or who fires up 2.5 kc off your frequency and then
slowly "slides" down on top of you, or who doesn't know how to set his mic
gain to anything other than full clockwise... but we can at least try)

73, ron wn3vaw