[CQ-Contest] Single Op Unassisted - Propagation Assistance?

K4RO Kirk Pickering k4ro at k4ro.net
Wed Nov 17 09:52:01 EST 2004

Interesting question Tim.

Since I discovered the near real-time GOES X-Ray data
online, I have kept the running graph available during
contests as a single op.  I never thought of propagation
knowledge as "assistance" any more than copying the
numbers from WWV at 23:18z.  There certainly is a big
difference in resolution.  The 1-minute GOES data can
show you clearly when a major flare has occurred, and
this can be valuable knowledge when off-time is involved.

It still feels like single-op to me.  Would using GeoClock
be considered similar "assistance?" I don't think so.  It's
still just one single operator soliciting, finding, and working
stations. That's what single op unassisted means to me, so I
think it is within the spirit of the rules.

73

-Kirk  K4RO