[CQ-Contest] Here we go again

Dale Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Mon Nov 29 19:38:52 EST 2004

> In a 48 hour contest, an SO1R station can listen about 24 hours total,
> and only on one band at a time.  An SO2R station can listen the whole
> 48 hours, on multiple bands if desired.  This has got to be a serious
> advantage, else why would anyone bother?

No.  Be strong.  Click X....Click X NOW!!......Keep away from the
keyboard.....fingers.......must........type.........can't........stop......t
hem......

Makes me wonder why anyone would expect to be competitive SO1R if he knows
he's operating at half of what he could be if he only moved up to SO2R.

To me, SO2R is a tool, just like the electronic keyer, electronic keyers
with memory, computer logging and other modern peripherals.

Whether it is a 'serious advantage' or not again depends on the operator and
how much time he/she spends learning SO2R and improving his score and
performance.  I'm still on the very steep portion of the SO2R learning
curve.  SO2R contributes only around 10% to my score.  Still, it's fun and
challenging to operate SO2R.  I enjoy the having the ability to tune around
on another band lining up my next potential QSO while waiting to call
another station or to finish a QSO on another band.

(I tried to stay out of this...I really, really did)

73,
dale, kg5u