[CQ-Contest] Here we go again

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Mon Nov 29 22:25:01 EST 2004

In a message dated 11/30/04 1:54:07 AM Greenwich Standard Time,
ak0a at kc.rr.com writes:

Tower  heights and skill has nothing to do with comparison. When I hear a
SO2R  calling CQ on two different bands at the same time and working stations
at  the same time, there is something wrong with the SO2R. with a separate
category they can call each other until the cows come  home.

There is nothing any more inherently wrong with SO2R than there is with
SO1R.  Some guys with SO2R cheat with two xmtrs on at the same time.   Some SO1R
cheat with illegal power.

The problem is not with two radios or one radio......It's the dirtbags who
cheat, whether they use one radio or two.

It took years to learn how to use two radios, and I'm still learning how to
do it.  I have a hard time doing it if I'm running over 100 stations  an hour.
 But there are guys out there who can do it at almost 200 QSO's  and hour.

I didn't bitch when I didn't know how to use a two radio set up.  I  cobbled
together a half-assed setup and did a pitiful job of SO2R.

Depending on the contest, I actively use the second radio anywhere from 20
per cent to maybe 50 per cent of the time.  Others who are better at it,
(KQ2M, N6MJ and lots of others) probably have a higher percentage.

If you want to beat the best you have to use their techniques.  You  may not
be able to afford, or fit a 200 footer on your property, but learning  how to
be a better op using SO2R costs relatively little and takes up almost no  more
space if done at a minimal level.

Just because a guy has SO2R and big towers doesn't mean he will win.   If he
is a mediocre op, the WRTC top ten guy down the street with a 60 footer  and
SO2R ability will kick his butt.

Bill K4XS