[CQ-Contest] Honda 2 kW generator , CQP

Haddon/N6ZFO hounds1234 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 30 00:05:23 EDT 2004

The replies, mostly off-reflector, from about 20 respondents
were helpful. In summary:

-  Three reported noise problems on 160 and 80 meters,
two were minor, almost making me think that the unit with
very high noise may have had an inverter problem.  Some
hash, some birdies maybe worse if unit is directly
under antennas.

-  Nearly all repsponders gave the Honda generator/inverters
rave reviews for performance, fuel consumption and reliability;
but they are pricey; for the EU1000i, $25-30/day rental in SF
Bay area, maybe $750 to purchase.  A couple suggested running
the generator near full load to minimize variations on transmit,
although that dis-allows use of the fuel-saver option.

On the basis of the replies, particularly the note from
k4xs, I have downscaled to the EU1000i rather than the EU2000i
for my fairly modest undertaking.

Hope to cu all from Tehama Cty in CQP from the Eagle Peak
fire lookout tower, 40 miles west of the town of Corning
on I-5 at eleveation 3750 feet.

73 Bill n6zfo