[CQ-Contest] COMPARING APPLES TO BASKETBALLS - ARRLDX RULES

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Sun Apr 3 21:57:28 EDT 2005

It seems Bob is merely talking about a distinction for reporting purposes,
not in changing that ARRL DX is about the world working W and VE (almost
like a QSO party for Canada and the U.S.).

I don't think I have a problem with that, although from my perspective, I'm
not sure how great an advantage Canadian phone bands (actually, we have no
subbands any more) really is, to me.

I see it being an advantage for VY2, VO1 and VE1, but propagation into VE4
makes ARRL DX largely an S&P contest from here anyway. Unless you're talking
75, in which case there is NO propagation.

If the proposal is to make VE become like all the other non-U.S. countries
participating, fine. But be careful what you wish for. You might just get
it. For if that were the case, and VE only had to work W, then VE4 and
VE5 -- and possibly VE6 (VE6JY, at least), would then become the powerhouses
in this contest. It would wipe out the PEI factor and make this area a
hotbed of contesting activity.

Our skip zones on pretty much all bands are just right that at the top of
the cycle, we can run Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Indiana and
New York as well as or better than W1s can run Europe. And certainly better
than Europeans can run US. (That's a large part of why, for the past four
years, VE4GV has been and remains the low-power SS record holder.)

If the corollary to that proposal is to make WP3R, WP2Z and KH7X compete as
Ws, again, be wary of what you seek. For reasons that should be obvious.

There might be some advantages to a change in reporting structure, but I'm
not sure Americans would like VE to suddenly become DX. If I'm wrong, BRING
IT ON! It would certainly make ARRL DX more fun for us VE4s.

73, kelly
ve4xt