[CQ-Contest] LOTW DXCC

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Thu Apr 21 10:04:34 EDT 2005

Steve,

> JSK> hope that ARRL can eventually reach an agreement with other
> JSK> national societies to make that checking more convenient to those
> JSK> outside North America.
>
> You, as a US ham, can simply ask for a certificate and receive a
> postcard.
>
> I am already on ARRL file since I had my cards checked for the DXCC
> award in the past years, so I'd like to be able to simply ask for a
> certificate for my callsign and receive a postcard mailed to the
> address they used to send me DXCC papers at.
>
> Simple like that, why not?

That is an excellent idea ... I am forwarding this to NN1N at ARRL
for consideration.

> I must also admit that I am kinda reluctant to join LoTW since when I
> read about the fees they charge.
>
> I was used to have my 120 qso's checked for 20 usd yearly at a local
> DX meeting, now I've learned that with LoTW I'll have to add 24 usd
> making that a grand total of 44 usd...wow, that's more than doubled!

At present, any LotW "confirmations" are not counted in the 120 card
limit.  Thus if you had more than 120 "new ones," your total cost
would even out.  In addition, the cost of a confirmation by LotW
is significantly less than the cost of a traditional card by mail.
I did an analyses when LotW was first announced and even with a
"Local" (US based manager in my case) the total cost of a card
(card, postage both ways, envelopes, etc.) was between $1.00 and
$1.25.  Even a bureau card was around $0.50 (bureau fees, postage,
etc.) vs. as little as $0.15 per LotW confirmation (and only if I
use the LotW confirmation for an award).

LotW is really a bargain in the big picture.  It is MUCH easier to
tell my logging program to upload new QSOs every couple weeks than
to print cards/labels, sort for direct/bureau, mail chards and wait
six months to a year (or more) for the return card.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK