[CQ-Contest] LOTW DXCC

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Thu Apr 21 19:35:12 EDT 2005

> I don't think so.
>
> I've tried to do some math after reading the bottom of the
> https://p1k.arrl.org/lotw/dxccapply page and I've found out that LOTW
> will always be more expensive to me than field checking, always.

Look at the very bottom of the page you reference:

   XZ8RRR:

   *Has a mixed DXCC award. He has 190 confirmations in LoTW that he
   would like to use for a DXCC application. He does not want to buy
   extra LoTW credits, so is charged $0.20 per credit -- Total = $38

   *He is not a member of ARRL, so DXCC will charge the normal $20
   application fee.

   *With a traditional, paper QSL card DXCC application, DXCC would
   normally charge $0.15 per QSO over 120. But because this applicant
   is only using LoTW confirmations, he is not being charged this fee,
   and saving $10.50.

> JSK> In addition, the cost of a confirmation by LotW is significantly
> JSK> less than the cost of a traditional card by mail.
>
> True, but you'll always need a traditional card by mail if you are
> going to apply for one or more of the thousands of awards available
> (IOTA, WAZ, etc) other than DXCC.

I expect IOTA, CQ, etc. to accept LotW confirmations sometime within
the next year or two.

> JSK> Even a bureau card was around $0.50 (bureau fees, postage, etc.)
>
> A bureau card costs nothing to me but the annual italian league fee
> (not cheap, 72 euro's ((95 USD at today's exchange rate)) but
> all-inclusive) and the pure cost of the printed paper card.

My calculation includes the price of the printed card, mail/shipping
to/from the bureaus plus the bureau fees ($8.00 per pound or about
$0.10 per card).  I did not include membership cost for ARRL.

> JSK> LotW is really a bargain in the big picture.
>
> If you are chasing awards other than those issued by ARRL then LOTW
> actually looks more another burden.

Again, I believe other awards will accept LotW confirmation relatively
soon.  In addition, since one pays only for the confirmations actually
used (rather than every QSO), the overall savings will be significant.
I also like the ability of the better logging programs to handle all
uploading/downloading transparently.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK