[CQ-Contest] Dayton Forum Rooms, etc.

John Warren nt5c at texas.net
Wed Apr 27 08:54:08 EDT 2005

Ian K5ZM wrote:

>This marks the very first time my schedule is permitting me to make
>Dayton and I want everyone - including those who made such unpopular
>and unfortunate decisions regarding Dayton/ARRL logistics this year
>- that I'm truly beginning to wonder if I'm going to come away from
>this experience with anything resembling a desire to go back again.

Dayton is far from perfect. The greatest irritation for me is that
the major events are split between two sites - Hara Arena and the
Crowne Plaza - which have very poor (in fact, worsening)
transportation connections. We needed better mini-bus service, not
cancellation! Then this year the ARRL throws its weight around, and
dumps on contesters/DXers (which has been known to happen before).
Finally, Dayton's DX and contest sessions are now getting some really
serious competition from events like Visalia, and HamCom in DFW, etc.

But I still go back, because Dayton offers one unique thing: The
social interaction with the world's best contesters, DXers and
equipment suppliers at the Crowne Plaza and the Hara Arena. With the
possible exception of Visalia, no other event can match that, so -
griping all the time - I plan to be there.

John, NT5C.