[CQ-Contest] Contest Decisions

KE5CTY Bob rtnmi at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 20 02:39:26 EDT 2005

I actually figured out that I could search through the
threads on the "cq-contest" reflector website and have had
a lot of questions answered for me in the last 5 hours
doing so on different subjects (nice):

But there is one subject I have not seen *really* broached
very thoroughly and it dawned on me when I saw the reply
(that I have pasted below) that it is probably a more
important one than even equipment, modes or filter design,
ect.

The subject concerns modes but I would like to see a
discussion on something that was brought up inside the
reply "Decisions during a Contest" and in other words -
contest operating methods (assuming all equipment is
functional and in top shape).

I was reading through the threads and came across this
response back in 2002 to a statement concerning the
viability of different modes for contesting, ect

(quote)

It's plain to see you have never operated a RTTY contest.
CW contests are FUN, but so are RTTY contests.  You have
to make the same decisions in either contest.  When to
change bands.  Moving guys from band to band.  When to run
and when to S&P.  Run 2 radios or 1 radio.  Catching that
LP opening on 10 meters for a quick couple of new ones.
The excitement of seeing (or hearing) a "goodie" come back
to me is the same, no matter what contest or mode it is.
Try it, you'll like it!!  Now PSK31, that's a horse of a
different color.  Not much fun talking to a buffer in
someone's computer.

(end quote)

As a newbie to contesting can I hear what you more
experienced operators feel are the *really* important
decisions and what criteria you use to make your judgment
calls on them? You don't necessarily have to use those
stated above but whatever you think are the things to
consider during a contest and what criteria you pull
together to formulate the decision.

73 fer nw,
Bob
KE5CTY (old calls WB5ZQU - WY5L)
10X# 37210, FP#-1141, SMIRK#-5177
http://www.qsl.net/ke5cty/
Code may be taking a back seat for now,
but the pioneering spirit that put the code
there in the first place is out front of it all.