[CQ-Contest] What to expect from 10 meters???

SteveWS4F@aol.com SteveWS4F at aol.com
Wed Dec 7 17:54:30 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/7/2005 5:10:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wendell at wyly.org writes:

Year  before last, there was a very long and very strong opening late at
night  (long after the band had closed) that allowed me to work hundreds  of
stations during the 10 meter contest.  It probably will not be on  packet, so
listen a lot and transmit so someone else will know the band is  open!
Signals were very strong any many said that I was the only station  they had
heard that night.

This was undoubtedly an Es opening.  These openings are most common in  the
late morning, afternoon and early evening, but they can occur at any time,
including late at night long after the band has closed for more traditioinal
propagation. Es openings can be very intense, and a lot of fun.  And they  give
you something to hope for to keep you CQing even when the band is  dead.

Steve, K4RF