[CQ-Contest] What to expect from 10 meters???

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at ispwest.com
Wed Dec 7 18:50:45 EST 2005

At 12:27 PM 12/7/2005, Wendell Wyly - W5FL wrote:

>Year before last, there was a very long and very strong opening late at
>night (long after the band had closed) that allowed me to work hundreds of
>stations during the 10 meter contest.

I'm sure all us OTs have similar stories to tell about ten meters. My
most memorable contact was from my QTH on the USA west coast to
Finland with the path in total darkness all the way. Logically, ten
shouldn't have been open at all, but there he was. I suspect the
propagation mode was multi hop sporadic E, but I can't say for sure.
Sporadic E would have required about four hops. F2 would have needed
at least two hops but more likely three provided the night time
ionization was high enough. I doubt it was however.

Moral of the story: Be prepared for anything, anytime.

73, Bill W6WRT